Monday, July 25, 2011

the view so far

it's already the begining of the end of summer! it's sad how fast the weeks went by. but, oh the fun we had and the shared good times with my girl are a blessing I'll keep in my pocket for many moons to come.




We started the summer with early morning swimming lessons in June which conflicted rather terribly with my new late night shift at SNS. Yet, we made do and by the 3rd week Amber learned to swim well enough to be comfortable in the pool w/o me next to her the whole time and to bravely dive off the deep end and safely swim to the edge. I turned 38 around that time and my gift to myself was the lose of 30lbs and a bathing suit one size smaller than last year.



In July, the days passed so quickly. We saw the Dalai Lama on the 17th @ UIC Pavilion thanks to the Theosophical Society and our membership to The Order of the Round Table kid's group. Our group was 1 in 12 that was picked to decorate an icon that would be placed on stage with his Holiness through the event. We got the Om which the kids and parents involved really enjoyed decorating as well as sharing what we knew and learning something new about the symbol and Hinduism. The experience of sharing the same space as the Dalai Lama was a once in a lifetime kinda thing and I'll never forget it. Amber was touched by his sense of humour, and Scott was impressed w/his view of modern world events, and I fully embraced the message of his speech on 'bridging the faith divide'.



Scott's having a rough time dealing with the loss of an old good buddy from back in the day, LJ. He died in his sleep a lil more than a wk ago and we haven't hear the whyfor or what yet. Then, Sat his laptop fell off it's table and crashed into the wall and into non working order. Wish I could think of something wonderful to do to brighten what's gotta be a horrible monday for him. He's been such a bear that I've already used up all my available good will the past 2 days. any suggestions?



So, now, it's coming and is already been spotted in the malls and super stores. dun uh, dun uh, dun uh! Beware, take cover, it is Back to school time. We've spent a few weeks at the pool, we've enjoyed the farmers' market, and our muesum passes but we are not ready for that yet. We've still got the Ren Faire, 6 Flags, Ravinia, and some camping b4 the end of summer fun gets here. Now, I've got to save all my cash to pay for school registration (which should have been done back in May but I 'm a slackermom in that regard), then school supplies, and a few fantastic BTS outfits for this girl who plans to be taller than me by the time she is 10 (To be truthful, I've only got her by an inch maybe 2).



Today, we submit out summer reading hours at the library and tomorrow she starts BBall camp for the next 2 wks. But, just because it's really almost over doesn't mean we can't enjoy every oppurtunity. How about you? Are you eagerly awaiting the restart of school? Or like me, wishing there was a pause button to prolong summer bliss? is prolly cause I have an only, yes!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment